Aleda E. Lutz VA Medical Center, Saginaw, Michigan
Volunteer Opportunities at Saginaw VAMC
• Ambassador/Greeter Front Desk – You are responsible for greeting patients and visitors to the medical center in the main lobby and providing them with information and directions.
• Escort/Patient Transfer Services – You work with a group of volunteers and are called on to deliver packages, mail, and transport patients throughout the medical center as requested.
• Administrative/Clerical Tasks – You would work throughout the medical center with staff who have requested additional help with filing, typing, photocopying, and other office duties.
• Clinical/Patient Care Support – You may be tasked with calling patients and reminding them of their doctor’s appointments. You may assist in stocking shelves, wiping down equipment, or other tasks that will assist the staff in concentrating on direct patient care duties.
• Disabled American Veteran – Volunteer Driver – You would be assigned a route to transport patients from one location to another to seek medical treatment. This volunteer assignment requires a good driving record, automobile insurance, passing a physical exam, and passing a safe driver’s training course.
• Parking Lot Shuttle Driver – Volunteer Driver – Drive throughout the parking lots on the medical center grounds and provide a ride to and from those parking lots to any of the entrances. This volunteer assignment requires a good driving record, automobile insurance, passing a physical exam, and passing a safe driver’s training course.
• Nutrition and Food Service – Kitchen assistance with dishwashing, tray assembly, etc.
• Community Living Center Patient Aide/Dining Room Attendant – Read/visit with patients, assist with meal preparation for veterans in the dining room, pass water, etc.
• No Veteran Dies Alone Palliative Care Volunteer – Called upon to sit with and provide support to a veteran in need should death be imminent and the veteran have no family or friends available to them.
• Other tasks/activities as requested from the multiple services throughout the hospital