Aleda E. Lutz VA Medical Center, Saginaw, Michigan
Health Promotion Disease Prevention (HPDP)
Healthy Living - Be Involved In Your Health Care
You can play an active role when you have a visit with your health care team. To get the most out of your visit, plan the questions you want to ask and the things you want to discuss. Be sure to leave the visit with information about your care. Here are some suggestions to help you be involved in your health care.
How do I become involved in my own health care?
- To help your health care team provide you with better care, make sure you give them complete information about your current health.
- Let your team know about your health problems, your concerns about your health, any past illnesses, and past hospitalizations.
- Be sure to tell your team about all medications you take. Remember to include over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbals.
How do I plan for my health care visit?
- Before your visit, write down the questions and concerns you want to ask your team. Make sure to let your team know about your questions at the beginning of each visit.
- Share your ideas and beliefs about your health problems and treatments with your team. Talk with your team about any other matters related to your health.
- Tell your health care team about any stressful aspects of your life that affect your health and your ability to manage daily activities.
How can I help my health care team create a treatment plan that will work for me?
- Work with your health care team to create your treatment plan and share in making decisions about your health care.
- Talk with your provider about the treatment options you prefer.
- Ask your team to clarify anything that’s not clear to you.
- Tell your team if you have any problems following your treatment plan or if your condition changes.
- Speak up if you have any concerns about the care you are receiving or if you think something is wrong.
How can I get the most out of my visit?
- Ask your provider for written information and instructions that you can keep and share with your family or caregiver.
- Get information about your health problems from your health care team and the MyHealtheVet website.
- Know the names of your medicines and why you take each one.
- Ask when and how you will get the results of any tests or treatments.
- Ask your team for the name and telephone number of the person to call if you have a problem with symptoms, medications or treatments.
- Bring a family member or friend to your appointment to help you.
For more information
- VHA National Center for Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
- MyHealtheVet — The Gateway to Veteran Health and Wellness
- Healthfinder — Quick Guide to Healthy Living, Take Charge of Your Health*
- Ask Me Three — National Patient Safety Foundation*
* Links will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites.
- Saginaw VA Medical Center
Hours of Operation
- Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm