Social Work - Aleda E. Lutz VA Medical Center, Saginaw, Michigan
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Aleda E. Lutz VA Medical Center, Saginaw, Michigan


Social Work

Social Work Services within the VA



Crisis intervention

Discharge planning

When you are admitted to a VA hospital, the social worker will help you make plans for your discharge back home or to the community. If you need services in your home or if you can no longer live at home by

yourself, the social worker can help you make arrangements for the help you need.

Case management

Social workers often provide case management services to veterans who are at high risk of being admitted to a hospital, those who have very complex medical problems, and those who need additional help

and support



Social workers can help educate you and your family about your health care condition, what services and programs are available to you, how you can live a more healthy life, how you can deal with stress and loss,

and how you can find support groups and other self-help programs in your community.


Clinical social workers in the mental service provide individual therapy, group therapy, and other evidence based interventions to address emotional, behavioral and mental health concerns



Here are just a few of the ways that a VA social worker can help:

  •  Financial or housing assistance
  •  Getting help from the VA programs or from community agencies, to assist with maintaining independent living
  •  Making sure your doctor and other VA staff on your treatment team know your decisions about end of-life issues by providing education on and assistance with completing an advance directive
  •  Arranging for respite care for your caregiver so she or he can have a break or go on vacation without worrying about who will be caring for you
  •  If you would like help with moving to an assisted living facility, an AFC home or a nursing home.
  •  If someone close to you has passed away and you want to talk about it
  •  If you have problems with drinking or drug use
  •  If you feel that someone is taking advantage of you or if you feel mistreated in a relationship
  •  If you are experiencing stress because of your health
  •  If your medical condition is interfering with your daily or self-care activities
  •  If you really aren’t sure what you need, but things just don’t feel right




How can I find a social worker to help?



Social workers are assigned to every unit, clinic and program at the VA. Just tell your doctor, nurse or clinic/unit clerk that you’d like to see a social worker. They can either direct you to the

social worker’s office or contact them for you.

Contact Info


  • Aleda E. Lutz VA Medical Center

Contact Number(s)

  • 989-497-2500
  • 800-406-5143

Hours of Operation

  • Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm